[Techtalk] Some questions about cygwin

Yaroslav Fedevych jaroslawfd at ukrpost.net
Wed Jan 14 17:54:54 EST 2004

Hello All,

I have installed cygwin, and it runs pretty OK, but there are still some
annoying problems.

I'm really sorry; I ought check in docs, but at the place of my work
traffic is pretty expensive, so I don't have such an opportunity. I
simply cannot abuse the "generosity" of my boss. Besides, it's not about
Linux, however, I think it's closely related.

The first problem is that I cannot find out how to set my locale data
properly. I've codepage:oem in my CYGWIN environment variable, so that
MC displays line art correctly. But with NLS, it's total mess, as I
cannot even determine which codepage it's gonna show me. OEM is cp866,
and native Windows codepage is CP1251.

The next problem is that alternative keymaps do not work properly; When
I try Cyrillic, it behaves like I press Alt/Control key combinations and
functional keys. How do I set the keyboard properly?

And the most annoying thing. Has someone compiled a thing under cygwin?
When trying to compile tetex, configure said that the compiler cannot
produce executable code. How do I handle that?

Thanks for your kind attention.