[Techtalk] Kernel messages scribbling on console

Ricky Buchanan rb at tertius.net.au
Wed Feb 25 12:43:26 EST 2004

Whenever I load or unload certain modules, especially the USB stuff
necessary for my PalmPilot to synchronize, or the scsi stuff that my
ancient parallel Zip drive needs, it chucks stupid stuff like this one
(Palmie example):

hub.c: new USB device
00:07.2-2, assigned address 13
Manufacturer: Palm, Inc.
Product: Palm Handheld
SerialNumber: 3030563541424E3331424A45
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0 / Cliw attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)
SB disconnect on device 00:07.2-2 address 11
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0 / Cli^@ 4.x converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
usbserial.c: Handspring Visor / Treo / Palm 4.0 / Cli^@ 4.x converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1

all over whichever virtual terminal I am working in at the time, which
is *really* annoying especially if I am working in one of those
braindead programs which don't have a function for "redraw screen"!

My syslog setup only has *.emerg set to go to "console", and I'm fairly
certain that the serial number for a new USB device hasn't been
classified as "emergency information" so how is this getting onto my VT
and how can I stop it from happening???

Thanks!!
Ricky
--