[Techtalk] RHEL/SLES/SLOX

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Thu Feb 19 16:42:04 EST 2004

On 2004-02-17 23:14:03 +0100, Magni Onsoien said:
> I am going to install RHEL Server (or whatever they call it) for a
> client this week, and it's more or less the same as RedHat 8. There are
> a few differences, mainly because this is purely a server edition and
> thus you can't choose a work station installation fex.

But you can still choose all the workstation packages (I think).
An annoyance: if you choose to install a package and the dependencies
aren't satisfied, Anaconda will automatically choose packages to
ssatisfy all the lacking dependencies for you and you will not be
annoyed with questions or being told this. At first glance this may look
ok, but the problem comes, of course, if you have chosen a package or
package group by error... Suddenly your almost-minimal (but no so
minimal that you wanted to choose the minimal installation) server
installation contains the whole Gnome-suite....

I was annoyed by the choices in the old RedHat versions, too, because
you could only choose to fullfill or ignore ALL dependencies (or to go
back and sort them out yourself), while I often lacked the option of
satisfying the dependencies of selected packages, ignore them for some
other and simply not install some of the packages.

All this can be avoided if you use kickstart and tune the first
installation a bit, but if you, like me, install three different servers
with a different choice of software, it's hard to avoid.

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.