[Techtalk] New domains and webhosting

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Feb 16 09:56:58 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> On Saturday 14 February 2004 07:09, Sini M?kel? wrote:
> > I am thinking of buying one or two new domains. Does anybody have
> > recommendations on a reliable company that preferably would be
> > pro-open source?
>
> How does which OS you run have any effect on purchasing domains?

Presumably she'd just prefer to support a company that is spending some
of its money on FOSS, or contributing to it, just as some people prefer
to buy electricity from people who are generating it in certain ways.

I suspect most domain name registrars *use* open source (bind, Perl,
probably Linux servers), I don't know of any who have an active "we
support FOSS!" policy.

-Mary