[Techtalk] finding labels for mount or fstab for USB devices

Christina Zeeh lists at tuxtina.de
Sun Feb 15 16:19:31 EST 2004

Hi,

> I was wondering what sort of /dev files USB storage devices get parked
> under.
> Do they always go under /dev/sd*? How do you find out? Output samples
> welcome. :)

Fighting with some USB storage problem atm, that's what I've got so far:

They go to /dev/sd?, according to the order in which they have been
plugged in after the usb-storage module has been loaded. Each storage
device gets its own device which remains persistent over
plugging/unplugging. Counting will only be reset on reboot/removal of
the usb-storage module.

So, the first storage device you use on a machine gets /dev/sda, the
second one /dev/sdb and so on. If you unplug and replug the first one,
it will still get back /dev/sda, even if other devices have been
introduced in the meantime.

Which storage devices currently are assigned to which /dev files can be
seen somewhere in /proc (sorry, don't have access to my test machine
atm and can't remember the exact location).

Which /dev entry needs to be mounted depends on the type of USB storage
device you use. Some of them require /dev/sd?1, others require
/dev/sd?, and devices that have been partitioned manually may require
some entirely different partition number.

Hope that helps ...

	Christina

--
"I smile because I have no idea what's going on."