[Techtalk] writing to ntfs?

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sat Feb 7 02:26:34 EST 2004

On Saturday 07 February 2004 00:21, you wrote:
> If Captive is what I think it is (a friend's quite interested in this
> stuff), their main problem is that they have to wrap around the "real"
> drivers, and as a result get all of the overhead of emulating a foreign
> kernel, as well as that of userspace filesystem support (the NT
> emulation is, quite rightly, kept out of kernelspace). This means that
> write rates are measured in kb/sec. Not a problem for a one-off such as
> this, and indeed, I'd recommend it for this purpose, but it'll take a
> while.

Yes, I think you have the right project, and it is no doubt slower due to the
various overheads.  If write rates are kb/sec (and not Mb/sec) then it would
indeed be of limited use.

According to their website, one Derek J Witt wrote "I have noticed no lag on
my system. I do notice the initial mounting process does take slightly longer
than the Linux-NTFS project. But, once I'm past that, it's quite
transparent".  So perhaps the performance issues have been addressed.  Or
not.  I have no idea.

> Also, if you just want to read your files back off your linux partition,
> you might want to look at some of the reader software for windows....

As stated in my emails, I've never used either.  And at the moment I have no
need to.  At home I do have Win98 on my system, but it only gets booted into
every 12 months or so, mainly when my son is visiting.  At work I have an NT
workstation (getting XP soon - not sure if this is good - cause I get a new
fast machine - or bad because I detest XP) but I've just set up a Debian box
that I can ssh into when I need a Linux fix, and I may can also run Cygwin/X
under XP.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--