[Techtalk] wireless PC card *almost* working

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Sun Feb 1 08:53:49 EST 2004

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 03:23:54PM -0800, Anthony Gorecki wrote:
> You may want to consider disconnecting any other wireless devices you have,
> including cordless telephones, and see if that helps to identify the cause of
> the errors. Another option which might be worth exploring is changing the
> frequency of your wireless card and base-station. I've had several
> connectivity issues with wireless cards which were resolved simply by
> switching to a higher frequency range.

We do indeed have a 2.4GHz cordless phone in the house (and since
I'm in a townhouse, any wireless devices the neighbors might be
using could affect us).  I tried varying the channel/frequency in
the access point and laptop's setup, but the results are the same:
about 30 seconds of connectivity...

Except if during that window of connectivity I have the laptop do
once-a-second broadcast pings to the rest of my LAN, in which case
connectivity seems to last indefinitely.  If I kill the broadcast
pings, connectivity dies within about 30 seconds.

--
Katie Bechtold         http://katie-and-rob.org/

All new:
	Parts not interchangeable with previous model.