[Techtalk] Trouble with DVD

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Dec 31 08:31:12 EST 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004, Linda wrote:
> Is the DVD you bought a DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW?

Unless there's a physical way I can tell from the disk itself (it has a
label, so I can only see the underside of the "natural" disk) I can't
tell you.

I doubt it's RW simply because of the price we paid for it. I'd be very
unhappy if he'd sold us a RW, since we'd be very unhappy overwriting it.

> Also the TV standard in Thailand is PAL2; USA is NTSC.  Again as
> others have said, not sure whether this is what is causing your
> problem. So to rain on your parade, after you are able to extract your
> files from the DVD, you will have to do even more work to convert the
> files into a format you can "see".

I'm Australian: Australia uses PAL (I don't know about the 2).

> My hunch it is the inability of your DVD drive to read newer media
> that is the most likely culprit.

It's a little alarming that 3 DVD drives, an XBox and at least one
normal player have that inability. :( I'm unlikely to get hold of
someone with a writer in the near future, I guess I'll see...

I can be reasonably certain there's *one* writer that can read it -- the
one that produced it :(

-Mary