[Techtalk] Nforce A7N8X motherboard forgets clock multiplier on reboot

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Sun Dec 5 22:18:12 EST 2004

At 12/4/04 11:03 PM , Mary wrote:
>2. Subsequent failures tend to follow hot on the heels (as it were) of
>the first failure, which supports a overheating hypothesis

Agreed. In my experience, if you have a spontaneous reset problem, and then
when you reboot immediately, the machine continues to keep crashing, *but*
if you let it sit (unpowered) for a little while, then you can get an hour
or two of good work out of it... then that pretty well points to an
overheating problem.

My advice would be to add a another case fan or two. Or to double-check the
CPU fan and heat-sink... is it enough, and is the thermal grease well
applied? (The problem there is that having too much can be just as bad as
having too little - or as bad as having the right amount, but not smoothly
spread about.)

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"The seasons don't fear the reaper,
  Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain.