[Techtalk] moderated lists?

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Wed Aug 25 12:02:10 EST 2004

On Aug 24, 2004, at 9:52 PM, John Stoneham wrote:
> Are the LC lists moderated in some way?

Some of them are (jobposts and announce are moderated) but not this one.

> I ask because I notice that posts of mine often take hours to show up,
> if
> they show up at all, when other people have had two or three
> back-and-forth
> replies in the meantime. I always verify that I'm sending from the
> address
> subscribed to the list and I never get any of the usual mailman 'your
> message
> has been held for approval' notices.
>
> Any idea why things would take so long to go through?

A few reasons:
1. The linuxchix server is in Australia.  Network traffic between AU
and other parts of the world can be slower than within-continent.

2. The linuxchix server is bandwith limited, so the SMTP connections
have been limited.  This makes for some weird behaviour at times with
delays and back-and-forth things happening before some subscribers even
get the first post.

3. We were having some trouble a little while back where the queue was
filled and the machine having trouble getting through it all.

4. Linuxchix uses RBL, so if you're like me and post from multiple
locations, there's always a risk that you're on an IP that's been
blocked.

5. Quite a number of linuxchix subscribers have mailservers that don't
respond all that quickly when linuxchix tries to send them mail.  This
is probably a function of 1 and 2.

I may have forgotten some reasons, but that should cover the more
likely causes of what you're seeing.

  Terri