[Techtalk] getting sound working

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Mon Aug 23 18:17:48 EST 2004

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 06:33:02PM +0200, Wim De Smet wrote:
> I googled around a bit thinking this must be a recurring feature.
> Someone on linuxquestions.org posted this as his solution:
> "The external amplifier has to be muted in the mixer, then the sound works."

Aha - that did it!  Specifically, the solution was installing
gnome-alsamixer, running it, and deselecting the "External
Amplifier."  (I couldn't find such an option anywhere in the
gnome-volume-control mixer that comes automatically installed in
Fedora Core 2.)

I had googled for solutions prior to my mailing list post (which I
should have mentioned, along with what I found and tried, without
success).  The suggestions I found involved (re-)compiling ALSA with
certain options, editing /etc/modules.conf, and disabling alsamixer
options that my alsamixer doesn't have.  Naturally, I had no success
with those tactics.

Thank you!  I've got sound now!

--
Katie Bechtold         http://katie-and-rob.org/

"Confound these ancestors.... They've stolen our best ideas!"
- Ben Jonson