[Techtalk] PDA recommendatinos

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Aug 22 18:41:23 EST 2004

Teri Solow writes:
> Here are the things it _must_ do:
> 	* wifi, including WEP
> 	* SSH, but whether I install this or it comes pre-built
> 	  doesn't matter
>
> Here are the things I'd _like_ it to do/have (in order or importance):
> 	* backlight
> 	* non-trivial battery life
> 	* web browser
> 	* Run Linux
> 	* have the option to plug in a keyboard
> 	  (for instance, something like:
> 	  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007BI0H/103-9056617-2249458?v=glance)

A Zaurus can do that, except that the battery life is poor.
It runs Linux natively, and prices for used ones have come down
quite a bit.  It was irritatingly difficult to get it to communicate
with Linux over USB, but if you're using wi-fi that would be a
nonissue.  It has a (thumb) keyboard built in, and I think people
have also adapted larger keyboards to it.  That would be my
recommendation, but if battery life is an issue you'll have to
pay more for a more recent model (they increased the battery size
in the newer models) or carry some sort of external battery pack.

There are various Pocket PCs that are slightly smaller than the
Zaurus, and perhaps have better battery life, and can run Linux.
Ipaqs seem to work fairly well (I have no personal experience).

> I was looking at the Psion 5mx (which can run Linux
> http://linux-7110.sourceforge.net/) which seemed perfect (and by

I really really like Psion hardware (I had a Mako, US version of the
Revo+).  The keyboard was terrific and the clamshell machine was
small, light, and rugged.  Unfortunately, I didn't like the software.
To run Linux you had to boot Epoc, download Linux, then transfer
control into Linux.  A major hack, made more difficult by the fact
that it was really hard to sync anything from Linux onto Epoc (that
part wouldn't be so bad if you had linux on a CF card, which the
Mako didn't have).  Under Epoc, it was a terrible PDA: it was nearly
impossible to sync/back up the machine, there are few applications
available, and the only development tools are proprietary and don't
run on Linux.  I finally gave up and regretfully sold it.

At Linuxworld in SF a few weeks ago, Psion had a booth where they
were showing a very interesting machine: a flash-based clamshell
PDA running Linux.  It was quite a bit bigger than a Revo or 5mx,
but still very small and light compared to a subnotebook or tablet.
No hard drive, just flash memory (and CF and SD/MMC slots).
Nice display.  Keyboard that again blows away the competition (it
looked very small but somehow I could type at full speed without
errors).  They were just there to gauge reaction, and from the look
of the booth, they didn't prepare for anyone to actually stop and
ask questions: they had two devices there, two tables, no signs,
handouts or text of any sort, one man who knew some details about
the machines, and two women who hovered in the back and seemed
completely uninterested in talking with anyone.

It's not clear whether they'll turn this device into a product.
The booth man said it would most likely be aimed at vertical
markets first, and it sounds like it'll be way too expensive anyway
(laptop price range, not pda).  But interesting nontheless.

This is probably the hardware:
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=107876

Doesn't answer your question, but it was interesting to see
Psion displaying some tentative interest in linux PDAs.

	...Akkana