[Techtalk] O BIND gurus: authoritative v caching and root zones and stuff

Devdas Bhagat devdas at dvb.homelinux.org
Sun Aug 22 23:13:33 EST 2004

On 22/08/04 10:37 -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> OK I'm back with another installment of 'DNS Barbie says BIND is hard!'

DNS is hard.

> I have a caching server on one machine, and my authoritative server for my
> domain on a different machine, like good and wise DNS admins are supposed to
> do. This is my named.conf for the caching server:
>

> //
> // sample BIND configuration file
> //
>
> options {
>   // tell named where to find files mentioned below
>   directory "/var/named";
>   // on a multi-homed host, you might want to tell named
>   // to listen for queries only on certain interfaces
>   listen-on { 127.0.0.1; 10.11.12.0/24; }
> }

Interfaces are not subnets.

options {
	directory "/var/named";
	listen-on {
		127.0.0.1;
		10.11.12.1;
	};
	allow-recursion {
		127.0.0.0/8;
		10.11.12.0/24;
	};
};

// This keeps other peoples misconfigured servers out of my logs.
// Telling them about it would be nice, but I can't be bothered.
logging {
        category "lame-servers" {
                "null";
        };
};

> // The single dot (.) is the root of all DNS namespace, so
> // this zone tells named where to start looking for any
> // name on the Internet
> zone "." IN {
>   // a hint type means that we've got to look elsewhere
>   // for authoritative information
>   type hint;
>   file "named.root";
> };
>
> // Where the localhost hostname is defined
> zone "localhost" IN {
>   // a master type means that this server needn't look
>   // anywhere else for information; the localhost buck
>   // stops here.
>   type master;
>   file "zone.localhost";
>   // don't allow dynamic DNS clients to update info
>   // about the localhost zone
>   allow-update { none; };
> };
>
> // Where the 127.0.0.0 network is defined

More precisely, where the reverse DNS for 127.0.0.0/24, which belongs in
the 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. zone is defined (note trailing .).

> zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>   type master;
>   file "revp.127.0.0";
>   allow-update { none; };
> };
>

> On the authoritative server, do I still need to include the root zone entry?
> Seems to me that should belong only to the caching server.

You do not need a root zone entry on the authoritative server.
It will answer for the domains it is supposed to be authoritative for,
and return NXDOMAIN for everything else.

Devdas Bhagat