[Techtalk] question reference mail programs

Raquel Rice raquel at thericehouse.net
Sat Aug 21 10:44:25 EST 2004

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:12:05 -0500
Listpig <listpig at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Or your correspondent is confusing spam with a virus, calling it
> spam when in fact it's simply that someone with your address in
> their address book has a virus that's occasionally choosing you as
> a bogus "from."
>
> Astonishing how often folks can't tell the one from the other.
>
> --pig

My anti-virus software (ClamAV) sends the postmaster (me) notice of
virus laden messages it has dropped.  According to the alerts, there
were virus messages being send from an address on my server which I
knew for certain wasn't sending viruses (an address from one of my
own Linux machines and ClamAV also checks outgoing mail).  It ended
up being another of my users, who was infected with a virus,
spoofing one of my own addresses.

--
Raquel