[Techtalk] mutt config issue: copying instead of moving messages

Riccarda Cassini riccarda.cassini at gmx.de
Sun Aug 15 02:16:40 EST 2004

Hi all,

I just recently switched to using mutt as my MUA. It took a bit of
brainwashing to get me (the ex windows user) there, but I finally
caved in and thought why not give it a try... And, I have to admit I
honestly do like it very much and would not want to miss it any more.
And I already feel a lot geekier now ;-)

Allright, so what's my problem?  Well, occasionally, I want to save a
few pearls of wisdom to mailboxes that I maintain to group stuff by
topic. This allows me to find things at some later time without much
grepping, while still preserving the kind of "newsticker" like style of
the original inbox, which typically covers a broader problem domain,
like for example all of linuxchix (not saying that linuxchix is a
problem, btw... but you know what I mean :-)  I use procmail to do the
pre-filtering into those inboxes.

So, I tag the desired messages, and then type ";s+mboxname" which
nicely achieves what I want, *except* that it marks the original
messages for deletion - which is kind of a nuisance, as I always have
to undelete them again afterwards  (the latter job is additionally
complicated by the fact that exactly those messages marked for deletion
are skipped by default when using the cursor keys, so I have to switch
to using shift-k/shift-j instead...)

mutt apparently assumes I want to move the messages. Thing is, I'd
rather want to *copy* them, so they remain in the original inbox as
well. Sure, keeping messages twice is redundant, but I like it that way.
Any ideas on how to achieve this, without having to undelete them every
time?  Any magic settings I have to add to my .muttrc?

I'm sure there are a few mutt experts here :-)

TIA,
Riccarda