[Techtalk] Boot splash screen

Susie arienadean at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 5 10:09:14 EST 2004

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:11:12 +0100 (BST)
David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk> wrote:

> This isn't strictly a Linux question, although the problem is
> undoubtedly easier to deal with from Linux than from another
> well-known OS.
>
> When my branded PC boots, a splash screen with the manufacturer's name
> and logo is shown - this happens very early in the boot process.
> Undoubtedly it is preventing the display of possibly useful
> information.

Actually I've seen how to do it in linux and windows.  I'm trying to look up the info for you but I think it varies between bios manufacturers.

Tiff conversion to the special format award bio's uses:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/awbmtools/

For windows there is this utility from intel:

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/gen_indx.htm

How to do it with an award bios:

http://www.blackfiveservices.co.uk/awbmtools.shtml

Fullscreen bios logo in windows:

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/bioslogo.html

> Is there a way to get rid of the splash screen?  I can't find anything
> which refers to it in the BIOS setup program.
>
> David

See the links I've put above.  Also there are ways to beautify grub and you can also change the actual linux boot logo.  I've not done it but there are sites on the web about it.  Also gentoo offers info in their docs(or maybe it was their message boards) about customizing linux boots.  If you use grub here's something on creating splash images for that:

http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/grub-images/
http://www.bootsplash.org/
http://linux.tkdack.com/node.php?id=15

Goodluck with it. :)

- --

Arienadean/Celticess

'No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to
unchartered land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.' --
Helen Keller