[Techtalk] parsing logs

Lesli St. Clair lstclair at ithaca.edu
Wed Apr 28 13:50:24 EST 2004

Hello All,
I'll preface this by saying I work more on Solaris than Linux, but my
question applies to both.

I've been using LogWatch to parse my sendmail and apache logs, to give
me a quick summary of activity. It works well, but as with anything
good, it gives you a taste for something better. I'd like a stats
program that either does some charting (to show trends etc) much like
Wusage for apache stats or at least spits things out in such a way they
can be pulled into a spreadsheet.

While I use these summaries for sysadmin type stuff, my bosses would
like more statistics out of them (like how much junk mail we reject, how
may nasty types try to relay, and so on). I suppose I could rewrite
LogWatch--but I'd rather not. :)

So--does anyone know of such a package, open source or otherwise?
--
Lesli St. Clair
lstclari at ithaca.edu