[Techtalk] Extending the network

Diggy Bell diggy at dbsoftdev.com
Mon Apr 26 12:48:50 EST 2004

Dan,

With line of sight, there are some options like microwave, etc..., but those
can be rather pricey.  If the cost of a separate internet connection is
within their budget, you might be able to make things work quite well with a
VPN solution.  I've used LinVPN to link 3 remote sites with a central office
(San Carlos, CA to Seattle, WA, Bellingham, WA, and Roanoke, VA.  Everything
worked like a champ!

The best way to set it up would be to use one box in each location as a VPN
gateway with each network being on a separate subnet.  For example, if your
main network is 192.168.1.0, the remote office would use 192.168.2.0.  You
would then setup the router on each network to route cross-network traffic
back to the VPN gateway, and then across to the other network.  You can even
make this work with SOHO routers (Linksys, Belkin, Siemens).

Underneath, LinVPN uses PPP across SSH to keep things secure.

HTH

Diggy