[Techtalk] Extending the network

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Mon Apr 26 18:39:20 EST 2004

Hi everyone.

My in-laws run a small business that's grown beyond the space that's
immediately available to them. They want to put an employee in a
building across the street, and they want that employee to have access
to the corporate network.

I assume that Wifi is too loose on security. It wouldn't be appropriate
to stretch an ethernet cable between two windows, but there is
line-of-site, so an infrared transmitter might be a solution. It may
also be possible to set up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) operating
across the Internet.

What do you think would be a good solution? I'm not a network admin, so
please explain the hardware and setup costs involved.

By the way, no one in the company is a geek, but they pay a geeky
company to take care of their network.

Thanks.

--
  The first time the [artificially intelligent] creature was put down
  in the game world, he just stared at his feet. I was puzzled, but