[Techtalk] Video encoding -- OSS/Free solutions?

EevaJärvinen eeva.jarvinen1 at luukku.com
Fri Apr 23 09:52:51 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm planning a video encoding server for my employer's small-scale
studio; it's meant to replace encoding on the video workstation so
that the editing can continue while encoding takes place.  My first
choice would probably be to buy as fast a computer as I can, add Win
something and Discreet Cleaner XL to it.  The idea is to encode .avi
files into MPEG2, RealVideo, Windows Media and possibly to QT as
well.  I wouldn't mind using Linux for this small project, and I
think I could pull it off with our management, but is suitable
software available?  I need it to work in batch mode, i.e. the
end-user just drags & drops the .avi file into a folder and then the
encoding takes place+the encoding server sends the results to suitable
streaming servers with scp/sftp or something similar.  The encoding
server has also to be able to notify the CMS that new files have
arrived.  The automatic sending+notifying the CMS are pretty easy to
do with almost anything, but is there a "no-user-intervention" -type
of video encoding software for Linux that can encode those three (and
preferably four) formats?

tia,
Eeva

--