[Techtalk] Burning CDs in Fedora (ide-scsi problem, I think)

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Wed Apr 14 23:26:29 EST 2004

Hi!

I need to burn some ISO-images (the ISOs from Fedora, so I do have the
actual ISOs here :)). In my computer I have something I suppose (I say
"suppose" because I KNOW I got a CD-burner for Christmas, but I can't
guarantee I ever mounted it inside my computer. But it does look like
that :)) is a CD burner. It's marked "Benq Seamless Link 52x 24x 52x".
I don't have a SCSI card, so it must be an IDE drive. I have been using
it to read CDs without problems.

Now my problem is how to use this thingie to burn CDs?

xcdroast found the player as an "ATAPI 52X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive" (or
something like that, this was cut from dmesg), but I didn't figure out
how to just burn images, not make them from scratch....

cdrecord -scanbus complains about not being able to open the SCSI driver:
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a19 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

>From some webpages I have looked at it seems like I have to load an
ide-scsi module, so I did a 'modprobe ide-scsi' and lsmod seems to show
it:
root# lsmod | grep scsi
ide-scsi               12016   0
scsi_mod              110280   3  (autoclean) [ide-scsi sr_mod sg]

root# cat /proc/scsi/ide-scsi/0
SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
root# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices: none

But what do I do next? Do I have to make any new devices or change
something under /proc or something? Would a reboot help? (I doubt so,
since I haven't written anything to any config files yet and thus would
just boot into the same state as now. So I didn't reboot.)

Please don't tell me I can't use this CD burner to burn CDs under Linux.
That would make me pretty sad. But I guess I can handle a few "this is
not the perfect choice" (by ignoring them - I need to burn about five
CDs a year and don't plan to spend any more money on it).

I am running Fedora Core 1 with Linux 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl.

I must admit I haven't looked around for documentation as much as I
think I should, but I have far too little time for trouble like this now
and just want this to work. I am however able to read, so if anyone has
some FMs that are straight to the point (not to the general "how to burn
CDs under Linux" point, please, since the docs I found involved SCSI
CD-burners) I will be happy for that. I think my trouble is more related
to the ide-scsi-part than to the actual cd-burning process, though.

Thanks for any hints.

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.