[Techtalk] "virtual" DNS resolution?

Didar Hussain didar at arbornet.org
Fri Apr 2 17:47:29 EST 2004

Hi Cari,

Hope I'm not being too eager in answering this one.

You just need to setup the domain.com "zone" and add "CNAME"
entries in it which will do the stuff that you want. The LDP
DNS-HOWTO is a good start to learn DNS.

Of course, all this is applicable if you are in control of
the DNS server. If OTOH, you are using some Dynamic DNS
type service like dyndns.org or myip.org etc., then you are
right on with the NAT port redirection thingy, which you will
have to use in either case if you want the world to access
the internal Linux box.

The biggest thing you need to take care about are the "."
that has caused me several "egg-on-my-face" situations.

`named-checkconf' and `named-checkzone' are two very helpful
commands I learnt about from a colleague of mine.

HTH,

Didar

Your reasoning powers are good, and you are a fairly good planner.

                  Random signature generated by Signify v1.07
                             http://www.debian.org/