[Techtalk] Linux and *BSD

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Tue Sep 30 12:20:12 EST 2003

At 9/30/03 10:41 AM , Caitlyn Martin wrote:

>I think you did, in fact, pick a safe place.  I doubt any of us see
>Linux as a religion or are zealous enough about Linux to dismiss *BSD.

[insert flames and religious bigotry here, then we can assume it's already
been taken care of]

> > b) license - those in favour in GPL style free software might favour
> > Linux over the *BSD's.
>
>I think this is *part* of it.  The license differences have affected how
>the two are developed.  The BSDs are all centrally controlled.
>[snip]
>Linux, other than the kernel, is decentralized.

Also, I think this has resulted in it being easier for average people
(well, average hackers) to get in on the Linux development process. I've
gotten the general impression that the *BSD setup is not quite so much of a
bazaar as Linux, but rather shuffles a few steps over in the direction of a
cathedral.

Also, I understand quite a few people simply find Linus and Alan Cox much
easier and more pleasant to work with than Theo de Raadt.

>I also believe the FreeBSD has somewhat less hardware supported and less
>software compiled and available as binaries.

I think this is also a result of the above: fewer developers means a
narrower installed hardware base on the developers' part, and hence
narrower hardware support. It also means less developer-hours available to
write drivers.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Why can't I live a life for me?
  Why should I take the abuse that's served?
  Why can't they see they're just like me?
  I'm not the one that's so absurd!"
                                                 --Ministry,
                                                  "Every Day is
                                                   Halloween"