[Techtalk] RedHat - Fedora Linux

EevaJärvinen eeva.jarvinen1 at luukku.com
Sun Sep 28 09:32:05 EST 2003

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 05:49:52PM -0400, caitlynmaire at earthlink.net wrote:
> Before RHN what happened was that e-mails were sent out with
> a notice about a vulnerability.  You downloaded the patch(es) in
> the form of an rpm and insatlled them.  DIY, perhaps?  Difficult, no.
> Errata will still be produced.  I don't see RHN as such a big deal

I did install the ssl-certs.  RHN works fine, for now.  But RH hasn't
given (to my knowledge) any information on whether Fedora will be
supported by RHN like RHL 9 is.

> > t won't.  I work in a big NGO, near the IT dep., and this just cut
> > away one of the nice things about Linux: reasonably priced, automatic,
> > non-fiddly[1] updating, without reboots, I might add (but now only if you
> > remember to switch the auto-reboot off... oh, darn).  Another reason
> > to stay in XP...
>
> Now you're being ridiculous.  Stay with XP?  Thank you, but no.  It's
> expensive and grossly insecure.  There are several other Linux distros

I don't decide that.  Our IT dep does.  This kind of sudden changes
scare them.  Should have marked the last sentence with <sarcasm> tags.

> that do what you want.  Mandrake offers a service similar to RHN that
> works quite nicely.  I would be surprised if SuSe didn't as well, though
> I haven't run their distro lately.

I chose RH also because RH seemed like a company that's going to be
around for a long time.  I expect their service to do that, too.

> I don't think "having to think about updating", meaning doing a download
> and running a single command is such a big deal, but it obviously is to
> you.

Actually, rhnsd gets and installs errata+scheduled updates every two
hours.  It IS good, because I'm not always around, and I can schedule
the updates and package installs from another side of the country.  I
don't like passing my root password around.

Eeva

--
Ja nyt minä painun ruusutarhoihin
jotka puhkesivat tänne