[Techtalk] Home Internet access on Linux

caitlynmaire at earthlink.net caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 26 14:51:07 EST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: "Virginia K. Wills" <kathywills at kathywillsfamily.com>
Sent: Sep 25, 2003 8:15 PM
To: "techtalk at linuxchix.org" <techtalk at linuxchix.org>
Subject: Re: [Techtalk] Home Internet access on Linux

Brenda Bell wrote:

>>However, your first problem is that you have to be within 3 miles of a
>>switch.  Our initial high-speed connection was ISDN... we were inside the
>>limit only by a few hundred feet!!!
>
> Thanks for your reply. I guess this leaves this out as possibly an
> option since I live about 8 miles from the nearest town. Looks like we
> are stuck with either dial-up or satellite.

You may be able to get dual-channel ISDN service at home.  We live out in the
sticks, and neither DSL nor cable are available.  We were able to buy dual
channel (128k) service from our local phone company, Sprint, for just the
line charges for the two lines and a one-time installation charge.  It comes to
$56 a month.  We also pay $40 a month to http://www.eskimo.com for all
we can eat ISDN ISP service.

It's not DSL, but it is way, way faster than dialup and doesn't have the
latency issues of satellite.  Keith is a gamer (he loves Unreal Tournament) and
he can play again with the ISDN service and get decent ping times.  I can get
live internet audio and video and do downloads which were impractical on a
dial-up connection.

I know $96 a month is a lot, but with two of us (and two incomes) we think
it's worth it.

All the best,
Caity