[Techtalk] Problem's mounting a window's filesystem?

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Fri Sep 26 10:42:01 EST 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:28:53PM +0200 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Rudy L. Zijlstra thought:

> Yes and no. Under windows i know of no way to get something not iso9660,
> under Linux you can actually use any filesystem on the CD you want to.
> I've used ext2 on a  CD when making backups from a linux system on CD.
> Is useful because you can save all you want without the limitations of
> iso9660 and have it immediately readable.

Even raw.  I experimented a bit with dump and 'cdrecord -' as the tape
device.  You don't have to mount the CD to read back the backup.  I didn't
get far 'cos I discovered mondoarchive[0] and promptly abandoned my
amateurish backup system attempts!

Conor

[0] http://www.mondorescue.org

Domestic Sysadmin :-)