[Techtalk] Problem's mounting a window's filesystem?

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Sep 25 21:21:01 EST 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 10:50:44AM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Carla Schroder thought:

> You are correct, CDs have their very own filesystems, that's where you see
> those weirdo Joliet, Rock Ridge, and other oddball names. See Burning CDs on
> Linux
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-cdburn.html
> for a concise explanation of terminology.

Except if you use that *horrible* DirectCD software to "mount your CDRW as
a drive letter".  This uses "packet writing" to a "UDF" filesystem which
must then be "closed" to iso9660 _mode 1_ format to be readable by an MS
Win machine that doesn't have DirectCD installed.  When I tried to read
such a CD with RH 5.x (yeah, ages ago) an 'ls' saw multiple instances of
the same filename and none were accessible.  UDF fs support is available
in the kernel now though I don't think it's too popular these days.  AIUI,
the WinXP built in CD writing software writes iso9660 CDs.

In any case, this doesn't appear to be the problem in this case.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)