[Techtalk] Home Internet access on Linux

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Thu Sep 25 12:45:15 EST 2003

Quoting "Virginia K. Wills" <kathywills at kathywillsfamily.com>:

> How much did it cost for
> the lines for your isdn and how would I find out if this would be
> another option for me.

Living in the country has both drawbacks and benefits, doesn't it?

The ISDN installation itself is typically reasonable.  In NH, the ISDN
service is usually provided by the phone company that serves a particular
area, but your area may be different.

The cost of the equipment is all over the board -- cheap ebay prices, one
or two hundred dollars for simple ISDN routers (like Linksys) and 100's or
1000's for more sophisticated routers (like Cisco).

The monthly access charge depends on your ISP.

However, your first problem is that you have to be within 3 miles of a
switch.  Our initial high-speed connection was ISDN... we were inside the
limit only by a few hundred feet!!!

P.S.  $900 ain't so bad... when we first moved to New Hampshire, we had
three options:

1) Dialup... ugh!!!
2) Cable... if we paid the cable company $28,000 to run a mile of cable
from the junction down the road to our house (our cable company is only
required to run cable in areas with more than 75 homes per square mile and
we have 11).
3) Satellite... our current dish is mounted at the end of a 20 foot pole
sitting on top of a three-story house in order to clear the hill and the
trees that are due SW.  It was hard enough to get the darn thing tuned to
pick on one satellite, much less two!!!

Good luck.

--
Brenda