[Techtalk] Problem's mounting a window's filesystem?

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Thu Sep 25 18:46:04 EST 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:39:00 -0500 (CDT)
"Stratis Aftousmis" <stratus at ccsi.com> wrote:

> I didn't know that. I thought if you burned a cd in window's, and the
> filesystem was FAT32, it would be like making a ISO image before buring a
> cd in Linux.

Nope :-) At least I'm pretty sure about this. CDs use CDFS (cd filesystem).
You'll see it called iso9660 under linux. There are a few tricks you can use
to make it look like a windows filesystem (ie with long file names etc). One
of those tricks is called Joliet, and can be enabled or disabled during the
burn process. But the underlying CD is still CDFS (iso9669) no matter what
it looks like. (Audio cds are a slighty different kettle of fish)

> I use Slackware 8.1, kernel 2.4.18
> the command i used the first time:
>
> mount $cdrw && cd /mnt/cdrom && ls
>
> after:
>
> mount -r $cdrw && cd /mnt/cdrom && ls

Is the $cdrw a slackware thing? Or is it simply a shell variable that you've
got defined somewhere? On the surface there looks to be nothing wrong with
what you're doing. I'm guessing its able to do the ls because the file index
on the cd is fine, but when it goes to access the actual files (reading
them) it borks cause there's something wrong with the cd.

I have to admit I don't really know what the answer is. I've seen the exact
same problem you're describing (hang on copy from cd). In my case it was a
problem with the CD - reburning it fixed the issue. If that's not an option
in your case, can you try the cd in a different drive or in a different
machine?

Hamster