[Techtalk] Problem's mounting a window's filesystem?

Julie txjulie at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 25 08:54:58 EST 2003

Stratis Aftousmis wrote:
> Hello! I have a bunch of '.bmp' file's on a cdrw disk that was burned in
> window's (FAT32). I tryed mounting it, it mounted fine, i then proceeded
> to 'cp' to file's to a destination directory. It froze, I then opened
> another console to fine one of the file's had been copyed, but on the
> other console it was still frozen. I waited 5 minute's before trying to
> kill the process, no go , I ended up having to reboot (bad idea?). It had
> to perform a check of the root partition. Now when i try to mount it, it
> freeze's. I hope that's enough information for a diagnosis, and any help
> would appreaciated!

My SWAG would be that the FAT32 code in Linux can't handle it being
a CD-ROM.  My next two SWAGs are to try and mount the drive explicitly
read-only, and if that doesn't work, "dd" the CD-ROM to a partition
and then mount the filesystem that way.
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.