[Techtalk] Home Internet access on Linux

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 25 00:16:54 EST 2003

Hi, everyone,

Sadly, DSL is not available in this area, and neither is cable.  With
this lack of options we were able to find affordable dual channel ISDN
service and found it incredibly easy to setup under Linux.  We ended up
picking up a Netgear ISDN router on eBay for all of $36 (and a second
one in case that fails), which we telnet into for configuration.  On the
Linux, SGI, and Windows boxen we have it's then just a straightforward
ethernet card configuration.  Couldn't be easier.

We pay $40 a month for unlimited ISP service and about $56 a month for
the two lines.  It's fairly expensive, but it doesn't have the latency
problems of satellite and it sure is much faster than dialup.

All the best,
Caity