[Techtalk] 16GB RAM NOT Support

perimorph perimorph at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 24 11:25:52 EST 2003

hi -- you'll have to enable a certain option in the kernel that lets you
use more than 4 gigs of ram.  some distros include a pre-built kernel
with support for it, which you can copy to your /boot directory and set
up grub or lilo to load it..  (i know redhat does this, i think they
call it "bigmem", check for an rpm on the install cd's maybe?)  if not,
you'll need to compile your own from the source code with that option
enabled.  there's a how-to on the subject if you have to do that, and
people here will be happy to help, i'm sure.

sorry to be so quick, just on lunch break..  good luck!

--ashleigh