[Techtalk] Mutt/Postfix/SMTP

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Wed Sep 24 13:54:14 EST 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:24:39PM -0400, Erinn wrote:

> Unfortunately, it appears as though my ISP is blocking SMTP-relay on
> port 25. I didn't find this out until today while working on the setup

Are they:

1.  Refusing to relay for you while you're connected to their network?
    They shouldn't be doing this, so ask them to fix it.

2.  Refusing to relay for you from outside?  This is good, although they
    may allow relaying if they support POP before SMTP.

3.  Blocking outgoing SMTP to everywhere else?  This is an attempt to
    stop dialup spammers - it may be accompanied by rate-limiting of
    SMTP transactions.  To workaround this, set relayhost in
    /etc/postfix/main.cf to point at your ISP's SMTP server.  Your MTA
    will then forward all mail to your ISP for onward delivery.

Cheers,

John
whois !JC774-AU at whois.aunic.net
GPG key id: 0xD59C360F