[Techtalk] HP 9100i CD-Writer on Mandrake 8.2

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Wed Sep 24 11:02:26 EST 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:27:10PM -0400, Brenda Bell wrote:

> [ -f loop0 ] \
>     || ./MAKEDEV loop \
>     || for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7; do mknod loop$i b 7 $i; done

You probably didn't need to do this - the device files should have been
there, but it won't have done any damage.  This command first tests
whether loop0 exists, and if not, runs MAKEDEV to create the loop
devices.  If MAKEDEV fails, it runs mknod instead.

> I copied and executed these commands only to find out that I don't have
> MAKEDEV.  The man page is there, but the command itself is not.  The end

It's normally in /dev.  On a Redhat system, it's part of the MAKDEV
package (as is the man page).

> result is that some of the commands to create devices succeeded and others
> failed.  From /dev, ls -l loop* sg* displays the following:

These device files look fine.

> Given the missing MAKEDEV, I'm sure this is not correct, but I'm not sure
> what I should do to fix it.

You don't need to fix it because it's not broken :-)

> Any suggestions?

You're doing fine so far, but skip the rest of the stuff in the HOWTO
and try "cdrecord -scanbus" - you should see something like this:

    [johnc at cdburner ~]$ cdrecord -scanbus
    Cdrecord release 1.8a29 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
    scsibus0:
            0,0,0     0) 'SEAGATE ' 'ST19171N        ' '0023' Disk
            0,1,0     1) *
            0,2,0     2) *
            0,3,0     3) 'TOSHIBA ' 'CD-ROM XM-5301TA' '0925' Removable CD-ROM
            0,4,0     4) 'TEAC    ' 'CD-R56S4        ' '1.0F' Removable CD-ROM
            0,5,0     5) *
            0,6,0     6) *
            0,7,0     7) *

This scan shows a Seagate scsi hard drive at id 0, a Toshiba cd reader
at id 3 and a Teac cd writer at id 4, all on bus 0 (the numbers are
bus,id,lun).

If it detects your cd writer you're all set to go.  You can burn a cd
image file (created with mkisofs or as a copy of an existing cd) with:

    cdrecord dev=a,b,c speed=x image_file

where "a,b,c" is the device number (bus,id,lun) from cdrecord's bus
scan, "x" is the recording speed and "image_file" is the name of the cd
image you want to burn.

If you want to copy an existing cd, run "dd if=/dev/hdc of=cdimage"
followed by "cdrecord dev=a,b,c speed=x cdimage", or if you use a GUI
tool, it probably has a copy function which will do this for you.

You can mount a cd image file with "mount -o loop mount_point
image_file".  It's a good way to check that you've got the files you
wanted before you burn the cd.

If cdrecord's bus scan doesn't find your cd writer, run "modprobe
ide-scsi" and try again.  If that fails, add "hdc=ide-scsi" to your
boot command line, reboot and try again.

If none of these work, send me the output of "cdrecord -scanbus" and
"lsmod" and I'll have a look.

Cheers,

John
whois !JC774-AU at whois.aunic.net