[Techtalk] Dances with Mice

Yaroslav Fedevych adeveloper at ukr.net
Tue Sep 23 11:02:34 EST 2003

> I would agree that if it's a case of "all mice behave badly with this
> machine, but the same mice behave well with other machines" that I'd be
> looking at the hardware on the machine as a cause.

I agree with that. The only problem is that rollers behave well and cursor moves when the ball is taken out and rollers are rotated manually, that eliminates any software cause. I tried to turn off GPM (and did so anyway---Real Girls Do Not Use Console :))) (NOT my personal opinion, but their own)), but it was like shoes for mermaid. And, besides, mouse works well on another machine, which fact draws me back to motherboard. Which contradicts with the "manual-roller-movement" test...

As for software, I tried that with linux loader---namely, ASPLoader. It worked alike---OK on one PC, brain-damaged on another.

> Whatever the mouse type (USB-PS/2-serial), swapping to another type should
> be a good diagnostic---as would testing a different device plugged into the
> same port (graphics tablet or what have you, if you have any non-mouse
> peripherals that use the same port).
>

> PS: I really like that line about "she feels I look better when
> fired"---best description of the situation I think I've ever heard. :-)

This description is (c) 2003 by Yaroslav Fedevych, all rights reserved.
Permission is granted to use it as a quote, either verbatim or modified, as it is stated in GNU General Public License.

> > Hmmm..  That sounds to me like a hardware problem on the motherboard
> > where you plug in the mouse.  I'm assuming you're using a PS/2 mouse,
> > you might try either a USB or serial mouse.

Maybe. Previous mouse, after working about a year on it, died completely. But if the problem persists, I'll try to test it with an optical mouse --- it should'n have any moving parts (except that mouse as a whole is moving part) and see if it solves the problem. Next thing will be blaming damn table on which mouse was driven. :-)

Thanks anyway all of you. The topic is still open for comments.

--
Best regards!
"Never make any mistaeks." -- From Unknown Source