[Techtalk] SSH Servers?

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Fri Sep 19 16:04:56 EST 2003

Hi all,

This actually *is*, sorta, a linux question...

I'm trying to fit a new Windows server (that doesn't have a backup tape
drive) into my automated backup system (of all Linux boxes), which basically
uses tar (or rsync, depending) over ssh (with authorized_keys, so it's
noninteractive). I'm trying to find a ssh server for windows, and so
far, the only options I can find are:

1) Spend hundreds or more on F-Secure and others
or
2) Use Cygwin / OpenSSH (what fun, get to patch windows *and* ssh on the
same box!)

Are there any other options? I looked both on Freshmeat and Sourceforge
for open source SSH servers for Windows to no avail, and I can't seem to
find any that are priced more reasonably ($50 or less would be nice)

Also, any other suggestions you might have for how to noninteractively
backup a Windows box on a Linux network (using either hard drive space or
tape) would be great. I suppose I could try using an SMB browser on the
linux side, but I haven't gone down that road yet... and I'd prefer a
secure solution.

Thanks!
--
.Michelle
tech at murrain.net
http://www.murrain.net
ph:413-253-2874
cell:413-222-6350
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"Windows is not ready for the Internet" - comment on security blog