[Techtalk] More secure e-mail for road warriors?

jm jack at endofhistory.com
Fri Sep 19 11:43:14 EST 2003

As Raven Alder wrote on [Techtalk]:

Hi!
<delurk>

> 	IMAP + SSL.  Keeps everything on the server, encrypts over the
> local LAN.  Problems with this: not sure what clients give good support
> for this on both *nix (Linux and FreeBSD) and Windows, could not use it
> easily when traveling without installing another program on each remote
> machine.  IIRC, Courier IMAP has had security problems, unsure what
> other IMAP/SSL servers there are out there.  Unsure if it supports
> separate mail passwords & chrooting users.

Just what I know, uw-imap does imap-ssl well too, I don't run regular IMAP
at all anymore. On the client side for Windows, Eudora and Outlook I've
used, they both have decent imap-ssl support. For *nix the newest Mutt has
good imap support, just make sure you compile with +USE_IMAP and +USE_SSL.
I believe Mozilla/Thunderbird does too.

> 	Some sort of Webmail + SSL.  Accessible from anywhere, secure
> over the local LAN.  Problems with this -- pretty much the same as
> above.
>
> 	The option of being able to compose offline would be nice, too,
> so that's a point in favor of IMAP.  I am also open to the idea of
> supporting both, but don't want to run too many services on the server.
> I've got enough ports open as it is anyhow.

One annoyance, I don't know of any webmail clients that can talk to
imap-ssl, just unencrypted imap, so if you go with webmail that's a
consideration, having to leave 143 at least somewhat open. Grr.

Cheers,
jm

--
"UNIX is Yugoslavia. And BSD is Bosnia." --Steve VanDevender, sdm