[Techtalk] Re: Help! Apache startssl Dies Silently?

gab gab at gorge.net
Fri Sep 19 10:10:36 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 18:00, techtalk-request at linuxchix.org wrote:
> Hi. I just upgraded my Apache from 1.3.26 to 1.3.28, along with its related
> mod_ssl and various other stuff (see below). Now when I run "apachectl
> start", the server starts fine, but given "apachectl startssl", it prompts
> for my PEM pass phrase, and then claims "httpd started" -- but  in
> actuality, it dies silently. No errors show up in the logs, either.

I just had the same experience, but it was my first time installing
apache + mod_ssl + php, so take this for what it's worth.  (Talk about
an evil morass.  The lack of error messages was really a pain.)  It
turned out that mod_ssl hadn't compiled correctly for us.

What I had to do was:
1.  install apache
2.  patch it to use the 'correct' apxs that comes with mod_ssl.
Directions here: http://logidac.com/apache/apxs/apache-apxs-eapi.phtml
The directions are for a different version, but they worked.
3.  install php with apxs (which caused another set of problems,
Directions here:
http://us4.php.net/manual/en/faq.build.php#faq.build.apxs)
4.  install mod_ssl with apxs like so:
cd /tarfiles/mod_ssl-2.8.15-1.3.28
./configure --with-apxs=[path/to/apache/apxs] \
--with-ssl=[/path/to/ssl]
make, make install, do the happy dance because it's finally working.

HTH.
--
gabrielle
"vi...vi...vi, the editor of the beast"