[Techtalk] Looking into buying an old computer.

Shirrell shirrell at pstat.com
Wed Sep 17 21:14:33 EST 2003

At&t's 3B2 is a dinosaur.  I have one sitting in my
closet.  The hardest thing is going to be communications
when a 5 1/4 diskette is all that is available.  I have been
there and done that-- moving 32 diskettes of source code
from a pc is a nearly endless procedure.

Unless this is for some historical reason I would say
fogetabotit!

The 3B2 was never a great success although it won the first really
huge government bid, AFCAC-251, for a unix machine with software.
Unfortunately, by the time the bid was awarded, it was apparent
that other better machines were available and the bid basically
went nowhere.  (Our software was included by IBM which used an
early RT for its hardware -- another example of inadequate
hardware.)

I don't remember the dates but it was at least 15 years ago.

I am sure you can find better things to do with your weekends.
How about resuscitating a Wicat?

Regards
shirrell at pstat.com