[Techtalk] re: filtering mail with spamassassin

showercurtain showercurtain2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 20:16:54 EST 2003

I changed the spamassassin spam points scale from 6.5 to 6 a few days
ago and a lot of users complained valid emails are being quarantined
:(

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, Siobhan Elliott wrote:
>I compiled a list of possible RBLs to use, and tried each
>one individually for a day for so to see what it was blocking
>(grepping the logs each day to see what was dropped, and for any
>false positives, I still do this with a shell script + cron.)
>Then just started using them together.

Could you explain in more detail how you did this? Eg: where the logs
are located; how you distinguished false positives from actual
spammers that were blocked when you checked the logs.  My
organisation really needs to implement something like this, so we can
at least say "Doing x,y,z resulted in a 10% decrease in spam".

Secondly - and this is a question for everyone - our spam folder
contains over 20,000 messages. How can I remove all messages except
those received within the last week?

Thanks
Berenice