[Techtalk] Solaris experience?

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 11 20:59:42 EST 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 19:51, Jacinta Richardson wrote:

> I am being interviewed for some jobs where they are asking for Sun
> Solaris experience.  For a long time I have been a *nix user but did
> not pay too much attention to the System V vs the BSD camps.  I know
> Solaris falls into the BSD camp.  How different is it from Linux?  My
> experience is in System V, AIX and Linux (some HP/UX).  Having this
> experience, what areas of Solaris should I focus on to get my foot in
> the door.

History time!  Sun started out from a BSD codebase, long, long ago.  SunOS
1.0 - 4.x were BSD-based.  However, along in the late '80s or early '90s,
AT&T invested heavily in Sun... and persuaded Sun to switch to a System V
base.  SunOS 5.0 and above are System V-based.  "Solaris" is the name for
Sun's packaging of SunOS + other stuff.  "Solaris 2.0" was actually SunOS
5.0, with bundled software.

So, pretty much any Solaris installation you run across is going to be
System V-based.  Solaris 1.x is SunOS-based, but you're not too likely to
run across that now.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>