[Techtalk] Changing ownership of devices

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Sep 11 16:11:13 EST 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 02:34:12PM +0100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Maria Blackmore thought:

> What if there are multiple people logged in at the console?  Who gets the
> ownership then?

First one in...

> > The problem with this (and presumably the reason RedHat don't do it)
> > is that members of this group then have access to devices being used
> > by other members of the group. If we're both authorized scanner users,
> > I can then read whatever you scan in...
>
> At this point, I'd be asking that if what you're scanning is so
> confidential, what are you doing scanning it on a multi-user machine?

I think it's more a matter of device conflicts rather than security (but
the security subsystem is the easiest way to implement it).  EG. If I
start a scan and then another user sends a "reset" to the scanner.  Or if
I mount a CDRW to read data from it and another user runs
'cdrecord -blank'

> Of course, as a medium ground, you can just ensure that you are the only
> person in the group that owns the scanner, but then no-one else can use it
> either.  There's no easy way around this, but I've got to say that I
> really don't like the look of Redhat's solution.  It might fix one
> problem, and avoid a possible security issue, but it gives rise to other
> issues too.

I'm not wild about it either...  And it spoils the old trick of having an
unsuspecting user's loudspeakers start whispering at them. :-)

Meanwhile Cengizhan's suggestion of modifying /etc/security/console.perms
looks like the trick.

Thanks all!

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)