[Techtalk] umlauts

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 3 11:27:19 EST 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 08:15:42 +0300
Eeva Järvinen <eeva.jarvinen1 at luukku.com> wrote:

> Mail systems seem to strip away characters they don't
> understand... Here's a list of UTF-8 stuff: `____________' (w acute, euro
> sign, y tilde and h umlaut).  I wonder if any of those get past the
> mail servers (my local sendmail seems to pass them to local accounts)?

They all come through fine in Sylpheed.

I have an e-mail account I specifically use for e-mail with friends and
family in Israel, and I always check it in Mozilla Mail.  Why?  Mozilla
Mail always correctly detects that it is Hebrew and displays it
correctly.  Many other mail programs will display gibberish or else
reverse the characters, as in display them left to right when Hebrew is
a right to left language.

Once upon a time I put my full name in my .signature file.  I saw how
many times my middle name, complete with an acute accent over the "a"
got mangled, so I gave up.

My point, I guess, is that things vary wildly between the various mail
clients and mail servers.

All the best,
Caity