[Techtalk] umlauts

EevaJärvinen eeva.jarvinen1 at luukku.com
Wed Sep 3 08:15:42 EST 2003

Mail systems seem to strip away characters they don't
understand... Here's a list of UTF-8 stuff: `ẃ€ỹḧ' (w acute, euro
sign, y tilde and h umlaut).  I wonder if any of those get past the
mail servers (my local sendmail seems to pass them to local accounts)?
If they do non-destructive autoconversion, this mail should be
encodable in at least UTF-8, UTF-16, JIS2022-7 and iso-10646, but NOT
in any of the iso-8859-x encodings.

perplexed,
Eeva

--
...women are not obedient, chaste, scented, and exquisitely apparelled by
nature.  They can only attain these graces, without which they may enjoy

                                                  V. Woolf, Orlando