[Techtalk] Input/Output Error when reading from CD-RW

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Fri Oct 31 20:31:35 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:28:04 -0500
TechChiq <techchiq at hotpop.com> wrote:

> > I'd be curious to see what happens if you after you mount the cd and you
> > try doing a "raw" copy using dd. Something like dd if=/dev/cdrom
> > of=~/cd.iso
>
> Ok, I just tried it. Here's what it did:
>
> dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
> 104+0 records in
> 104+0 records out

There's something weird going on here. Youre getting the error, but the
records in/out business is usually what you get when it succeeds! But the
140 records is a very low number. It doesnt look like it was able to copy
much at all :(

Do you still have the output file? The cd.iso? You can mount that and have a
look inside it (mount -o loop cd.iso /mnt/)

Hamster