[Techtalk] MD5Sum

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Fri Oct 31 16:00:12 EST 2003

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:47:11 +1100
Rasjid Wilcox <rasjidw at openminddev.net> wrote:

> Well, there you go.  You learn something new every day.
>
> I've always just done a:
> $ cat test.html.md5sum; md5sum test.html
>
> and visually checked that the results match.  Shows I should read the man
> pages even for commands I think I understand.

Even better, is I knew someone who once spent hours writing a shell script
that cat-ed the checksum file, calculated the checksum on the original file,
did some complicated sed-ing on the output and ran the diff programme to
compare the output of the two to report "matched" or "faulty".

Boy were they peeved when they discovered the -c option!

:-)

Hamster