[Techtalk] Input/Output Error when reading from CD-RW

TechChiq techchiq at hotpop.com
Fri Oct 31 04:12:19 EST 2003

I put some rather irreplaceable data (including some photos I took of a
double rainbow) on a CD-RW using K3b. Well, I am not 100% linux as I just
reinstalled everything and repartitioned (thank you to folks replies on
how to do that, I think I got it right :) so Windows is no longer on my
system. Now, the problem is, I insert the CD-RW with my data on it, and
would you know, I can see the files ok, but neither in Konqueror nor even
as root in a term I can't copy those files to my user home directory. I
keep getting an error message about an input/output error.

Did I forget to install something on this installation? According to K3b,
it looks like most things are instaleld, except there are some other stuff
that I don't think I had installed last time either.

Please don't tell me the CD-RW is toast! I really can't replace the data
on it (I know I should have put it on CD-R instead, where I KNOW I can
read and get the files from it)... I got an ARTEC 48x48x12 CD Writer and
here's what the specs are from cdrecord -scanbus:

Cdrecord 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jrg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily
- Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.75-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c        1.75
02/10/21 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus0:
         0,0,0     0) 'ARTEC   ' 'WRR-4848        ' '1.00' Removable CD-ROM
         0,1,0     1) *
         0,2,0     2) *
         0,3,0     3) *
         0,4,0     4) *
         0,5,0     5) *
         0,6,0     6) *
         0,7,0     7) *

I have ide-scsi passed to the kernel in grub ok (that got done
automagically), and there is a /dev/scd0 in my system (but even mounting
that alone didn't work nor did mounting /dev/cdrom). My fstab right now is:

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/tmp              /tmp                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda6               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu
0 0

and mtab:

/dev/hda2 / ext3 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/hda7 /home ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda5 /tmp ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hda3 /var ext3 rw 0 0

Does anything look amis? Is there a fix for the i/o problem?

TechChiq