[Techtalk] i386 or i686?

TechChiq techchiq at hotpop.com
Thu Oct 30 14:51:28 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 07:55:47 -0600, Julie <txjulie at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> If you want maximum performance, and are running a modern Pentium,
> such as a P3 or P4, go with the i686 RPMs.

I have a PII/MMX (366MHz) and I can use i686 RPMs just fine. In fact, if
you watch carefully during boot-up, you should be able to see what the
system detects for your cpu type. Unfortunately, this information doesn't
seem to appear if you type 'dmesg' at the command line to see what your
boot up messages are. On mine, it detects as i686. Another way to check is
look in your /lib folder. If you see an i686 folder, then you probably can
use i686 RPMs. If you only see an i386 then you can't. Some distros might
say i386 anyway though. On my Pink Tie 9 (RH 9) system, I have a /lib/i686
folder but no /lib/i386 folder.

As for which to use, if you know you won't be going down to a lesser
computer in the near future, I would say try for the i686 RPMs if you find
them. But using i586s or i386s should also work. I try to get the higher
ones if possible, only accepting the lower ones if no others are available.

Or, to be best optimized, get the source and compile it on your machine,
then re-tarball it so you have the source and compiled stuff in case you
want to reinstall later. Do a 'make install' to install after compiling,
or a 'make uninstall' to remove it. I used to keep my sources in /usr/src
but deciding I think to put it in /opt/src (which I'd create myself). RPMs
are easier though. :)

TechChiq