[Techtalk] i386 or i686?

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Thu Oct 30 09:39:31 EST 2003

> How do I know whether I need i386 or i686 RPMs? Is it as simple as
> asking whether I have a Pentium or a Pentium 2/3/4?

i386 = 386SX and 386DX CPU's
i486 = 486SX and 486DX, uses some exra code the CPU has
i586 = Pentium class processors, some MMX code additons
i686 = Pentium II and above processor class

The Cyrix and AMD processors of equivalent Intel class will also use the
same "iXXX" software.

Each one has code optimisation that uses the extra functions that the
newer processor has, frequently improving performance.

Does this help?

Alvin