[Techtalk] Modems

alice RobinHood42 at clickta.com
Wed Oct 29 22:48:58 EST 2003

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 15:11, Noir wrote:
> At 06:26 PM 10/29/2003, Robin Hood wrote:
> >Can anybody recommend me a few brandnames for linux compatible modems?
> >What brands/chipsets are you all using at home?
> >I have been looking around, and they all say on the box "requires
> > windows", Also, typing them into the SuSE hardware database doesn't bring
> > up any results. I hope you can help me.
>
> Any external modem would be fine.
>
> ---
> Noir

Yep. You're right.
As long as it uses the serial port rather than the USB port.
My old modem was USB and it didn't work :-(
so I had to check my mail under windows :-(
and do horrible stuff like download documentation from windows then copy it
over to my Linux partition to experiment with the example code :-(
But my new serial port modem works !! <jumping around the room />

I was stumped for a while because they all said on the box that they required
windows, and none of the brandnames seemed to be in the hardware database.
Nobody in any of the shops I went to knew anything about Linux.
Half of them had never even heard of Linux.
Its a conspiracy I tell you.
It also said in the documentation which my ISP sent me that I definitely
wouldn't be able to connect to their server using Linux, but I can....
so they're you go.
Its all lies, lies, lies and betrayal.

Anyway, I'm probably starting to annoy you now,
so I'll go back to jumping around the room.

Just for the record, USB modems from Aztech don't work,
(or at least I couldn't get mine to work - I think there's some binary drivers
somewhere for mandrake 7.2 or something)
Serial port modems from Aztech DO work,
even though it says on the box that you need Micro$oft